Monday, March 5, 2012

Today I ran

Not me.  Image from here.
Today I ran.

I ran for the first time since high school cross country. I ran for the first time in nearly twenty years. I ran for 1 minute at a time interspersed with 5 minutes of walking. I ran for 3 minutes total.

It was hot and I was sweaty and my face was red but I ran.

I did not think I could even run to the letterbox.
Inspired by my sister who recently ran her first half-marathon, I ran. Inspired by my friend’s overweight husband who runs 5 kilometres a few times a week and is currently training for a 12 kilometre run in May, I ran. Inspired by a bookish not-the running-type (or so I thought) school mum who passed me when I was out walking this morning, I ran. Inspired by Nanette whose post made running sound like a pleasant and enjoyable experience, I ran.

Because I want to feel energised. Because I want to be healthy. Because I want to lose about 10 kilos this year. I ran.  And because I like food more than I dislike running.  I ran.

And I liked it. And it felt good. So I plan to do it again. And again.

And in May I'll be running the 4.5km Mother's Day Classic.

4 comments:

  1. Go gilly go! So proud of you! Run for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I popped over to your space Gillian :) At High School I was a long distance runner and loved it...fast forward 20 years and five kids and I had not run for quite sometime...I don't know that I could have even ran if my life depended on it. At the start of my health kick I was doing the same...running for 60 seconds and walking for 130 seconds, cheered on by my hubby and kids I kept running a little extra every week and am now almost running for 20 minutes straight. I still have a long way to go before I am anywhere near the days of my youth but I feel fantastic.
    You can do this!! Keep running :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. Wish I hadn't just eaten a bunch of peanut butter just now :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. good on you! just starting is the hardest part - you will be surprised by how quickly you improve! good luck :)

    Kel x

    ReplyDelete

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...