Thursday, February 9, 2012

The planets aligned and the sewing gods smiled upon me

The planets aligned today and I was child free!  Thank you school, kindy and Nanna.

I started the day ripping up some vintage sheets for green tea's fat quarter swap.




And I finished the day with a new dress.  The vintage florals said 'ignore the washing,' 'what dirty floors?' 'those bills can wait,' and 'you didn't really want to weed the front garden anyway did you?'

The hot pink, pale pink, grey fabric spoke loudest.  It wanted to be a dress. Really?  I'd always thought it was too bold for a dress.  Anyway, today I listened.

I used the pinafore pattern in the Make it Perfect book but modified it slightly.  I cut the skirt much wider and added some gathers to make it fuller.  I also added some fatter ties at the back and omitted the bias binding under the bust.

The sewing gods had already put just the right sized zipper and just the right colour bias binding in my stash so I didn't even have to use up any of my precious child free time to go shopping for supplies.





Does your fabric talk to you?  Do you listen?

More creative spaces over here.

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful dress!! I often find fabric in remnant boxes and charity shops yelling at me and I just can't ignore it! :)

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely! i think each piece of textile and fabric has a certain feel and use!

    ....& love love love your finshed dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!

    I made myself a dress this week, but was to scared to use any prints. I think I am going to have to have a do over on the weekend and use a print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super-cute dress! In fact I think you could call it a frock. I hope those sewing planets align over my house soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful vintage sheets, and of course they talk:) Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
  6. we have deep and meaningfuls all the time. Love how you cn just change the apttern to make it your own. very cool.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous - you made great use of your child free time yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dress and the photo with the chicken it just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's turned out great! and I love that fabric : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a cute dress, great fabric. My vintage florals say EXACTLY the same things to me ALL the time haha. Naughty fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this dress!! I've just posted by FQ's for the swap. Would be very happy to get some of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. good on you for listening...stunning little frock! Wanna make me one?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I have that book and should really take another look at that pattern. I was looking at the skirts in it just the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when the planets align and suddenly there's time for ME. Course, I never know what to do with it. Pathetic, really. You, on the other hand, know just how to work some spare hours!

    ReplyDelete

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...