Tuesday, February 7, 2012

On baby quilts

My sister-in-law had a baby last week. She arrived at the hospital 9 cm dilated and popped him out (just like that!) after a 7 hour labour. If only it was that easy for everyone!

Anyway, he is a cutie and they are enjoying their first days at home as a new family. We visited recently with some supplies (freezer meals, baby sling) and a new quilt for little Jasper.

We didn't know she was having a boy until he came out so this quilt was made in a frenzy each night after the kids were in bed.



And while I sewed I thought. I thought about babies. And how lovely they are. And how our baby days are over. Erin is 18 months old now. She is a walking talking toddler. A walking toddler who points at the fridge and says 'pole' as in icy pole. The kid only has about 10 words and this is one of them! Her other favourite is 'no' so you can imagine how much fun that is for everyone.

But babies are lovely. I love being pregnant. I love giving birth and I love love love the first couple of weeks with a newborn. That time is so fleeting and so special. And I'd love to do it all over again. And again and again probably because I'm not sure that feeling ever goes away.

My heart tells me it would love to have another baby.

My head says no! A firm definite not negotiable NO. My head says it is bored with this SAHM thing. My head says it is ready to get on with the next phase of life. My head says it would like to sleep again. My head says it is exhausted and has run out of patience and does not have the ability to sort out yet another sibling squabble or convince yet another small child to put their shoes on. My head says there are days when we can't handle the three children we've got let alone another one. My head says it is so nice to reconnect with my husband after all these years of being each other's second (or third or fourth) priority. My head says it is very much looking forward to the next chapter (back to uni! family holidays! a second income! no nappies! parenting big kids who can buckle their own car seats and don't require being pushed around in a pram! big kids who can occupy themselves for more than 3 seconds at a time! big kids who can help with the chores!).  Yes, that's what my head wants.

It was fun while it lasted but from now on I'll have to be content with sewing baby quilts and inhaling other people's newborns.

You can see other baby quilts I've made herehere, here and here.

2 comments:

  1. oh that quilt is gorgeous!! you are one clever lady :)

    i have no babies yet and am currently debating along the same lines as you! haha! i guess there is really no right time... to start or stop!

    Kel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt. Know what you mean on the head/heart thing. We had to put an end to the 'what ifs' with a permanent 'no more' solution, ha!

    ReplyDelete

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...