Monday, February 6, 2012

Hot Buns

I know it's only February but that doesn't stop the supermarkets from stocking Easter eggs and it doesn't stop me from baking hot cross buns. Or just plain 'hot buns' at this time of year I guess.

I happily eat 'hot buns' all year round.  You can't overdose on Easter I don't think.  Not like Christmas.

I always put the tree up and start playing carols way too early (like mid November) so that by the time Christmas rolls around I'm sick of the sight of the tree and the carols are driving me mental.

I found this recipe in a magazine a few years ago and according to Abby they taste 'just like the shops'  so they must be good.

2 x 8 gram sachets dried yeast
1 1/4 cups milk (warmed)
1/4 cup caster sugar

Whisk yeast, milk and caster sugar until the sugar dissolves.  Set aside for 10 minutes.  (Do NOT go for a walk or leave the house during this time or your helpful husband might put the bowl in the fridge thereby killing the yeast and forcing you to do this step again).

4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
1 teaspoon salt
60 grams butter



Sift together in a large bowl and use your fingertips to rub in the butter.

2 cups sultanas
2 eggs

Stir in the sultanas, eggs and yeast mixture.  Turn dough onto floured surface and knead for five minutes.  Put in a large bowl, cover and leave in a warm spot for 45 minutes or so.



Punch down the dough and knead until smooth.  Shape into 12 balls.  Put on a baking tray and set aside for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 200C.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce oven temperature to 180C and bake for a further 15 minutes.



They freeze well.  Just thaw them out as you need them and grill them for a few minutes in the oven before smothering them in butter.






4 comments:

  1. Yum! They look fantastic and sound not-too-difficult. Hmm I think the real trap with 'hot buns' is they are just so much better with lashings of butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You blogged!!!!! Gosh the buns look so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you're back!! Great to read you!! Have been thinking about you over the holidays, must catch up soon.
    Nice buns!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe. I found these buns through Jane's blog and posted about them on my blog too (under a post titled "Hello, Computer, My Time Consuming Friend", in April 2012) . Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...