Thursday, February 23, 2012

Finished - finally!

Finished!  Finally!  I started this blanket way back in August 2010 (or so Ravelry tells me) when I found out my younger sister was pregnant.  Curse her for not finding out the gender!  I decided to start a blanket anyway figuring there was a 50% chance she'd have a girl.

Nope.  Of course she had a boy.  And I made this for him instead.  The poor rainbow blanket has been sitting half completed in a basket in our living room ever since (he's nearly one!).

I decided to pick it up again recently when I was having some forced rest days (doctors orders who am I to argue?).


I had a little help from Chris sewing in the ends (I offered him the choice of riding to the video shop or weaving in the ends for me while I rode to the video shop).


And now it's finished.  Although I'm not sure what to do with it or who to give it to.  Its job for now is to hang on the end of Abby's bed looking pretty.


The best part about finishing a long-term project like this is that now I can start something else.  I quite like Kate's granny stripe blanket and I love this ripple blanket (but I'm not that clever).  I've never made a granny square blanket but I'd like to.  And I really want to crochet a rag rug too.

Whatever I choose it's likely to be part of the scenery around here for at least a few years and I know just how the project will unfold -

1.  Start rug
2.  Forge ahead with single-minded determination on the project.  It's all I think about!  It's all I talk about!  I take it everywhere! This will be finished in no time.
3.  Reach about 30% completion.  Enthusiasm wanes.
4.  Other projects begin to look far more interesting.  Abandon mega-rug and get sidetracked with 2 or three small projects.
5.  Much time passes.
6.  Suddenly, out of nowhere, the mega-rug project looks interesting again.  Forge ahead with single-minded determination until the project is complete.
7.  Finish rug

Sound familiar?

Visit more creative spaces over here.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your rug it's always a good feeling finishing a big project and especially one you've had for a while. Your project steps I follow to a tee, I've still got the start of a ripple blanket sitting in a basket I'm about a quarter of the way through but sadly it hasn't looked too interesting just yet;) The ripple blanket isn't hard at all you should give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on finishing your blanket! I love those colours! I'm a girl! You can give it to me! bwahahaha... It's really pretty! Keep it! Have fun picking your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so pretty! I think you should keep it. Oh and I totally know the feeling of the big project cycle.
    I have a batch of your recipe 'hot buns' cooking right now. They smell great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, your blanket is so beautiful! The colours are just gorgeous and I totally agree on that wonderful 'finishing' feeling :)
    Secondly, you ARE clever enough - that ripple pattern is amazingly simple and Lucy's tutorials are the best!
    Thirdly, wow! - you get the Mr to sew in the ends??? I'm seriously impressed.
    Have fun making :) Kx

    p.s. your 'boy' quilt is fantastic too :)

    ReplyDelete

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...