Tuesday, September 13, 2011

In the garden



Our telegraph peas are finally beginning their long climb up the ladder.  It would seem the chooks are very fond of pea shoots.


I have been planting tomato seeds like a madwoman.  My memory is short and I've forgotten about last year's glut.  And the year before and the year before.  Normally I plant seedlings but this year I'm experimenting with growing things from seed.


The wisteria knows it's Spring.


Chris has built three more garden beds and project 'backyard self-sufficiency' has begun.

We are putting a fence straight through the middle of the back lawn.  The kids and chooks can have the back half and me and the veg get the rest.

We feel sad for our poor chooks who need a bit more space but we're sick of them chomping away at all our veggies.  Putting in a new fence seems to be the only solution.

This project will give us 5 garden beds plus space for some fruit trees and a passionfruit vine.  We have planted two citrus trees which we are going to espalier along the fence and we will put in some apples using this method I think.

I cleared a space along the fence and tested the soil then conditioned the soil ready for some blueberries (fickle things that they are).  I planted two little bushes about a week or so ago and one of them is already looking very sick.  It has dropped all its leaves so I'm not sure if it will be with us for much longer.

The noisy tree people came and removed two big trees which were blocking the sun.  Trees that don't feed us are a waste of space if you ask me.



We've also put  a lime tree in a pot (under-planted with strawberries) and we've planted a grapevine which will eventually cover the trellis on the back veranda.

Now our fruit tree tally looks like this:

  plum *
  fig *
  cherry *
  pomegranate x 2 *
  olive *
  lemon
  mandarin (x 2)
  orange (x 2)
  lime

* these were here when we moved in

I would love to plant more but I really don't know where we'd put them.  I've got my eye on the front lawn next.


1 comment:

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...