Thursday, August 6, 2009

What's happening in the veggie patch

Adelaide has had a little tease of Spring the last few days. Oh, it's glorious to be outside in the sunshine.

We've been busy
+ weeding
+ 'befriending' caterpillars, slugs and snails
+ preparing the new veggie patch for planting
+ making mud pies in the bird bath
+ clearing an area for our new chooks!
+ hanging up a gazillion loads of washing
+ pouring bucket loads of water on our worm farm (apparently they don't mind) so they make more fertiliser for us.

I have found that chilli spray does a good job of deterring caterpillars and we are putting all our egg shells around the lettuces to see if we can keep the slugs and snails away.

Here are some photos of what we have growing at the moment

beetroot
garlic
broccoli
carrots
capsicum (only 1!)
celery
potatoes


3 comments:

  1. Hi Gillian,
    LOL I am trying egg shells too! Blogged about it during the week, have you tried it before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! How exciting Gillian. I am going to wait another few seasons till I even ponder setting up a veggie garden. We have a large garden as is and we're struggling to keep those little sour sobs at bay as is GRrrrr! Next year perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll know who to be friends with when it comes to too-much-veggies-time then won't I!? Great work, I bet the kids are loving it.

    ReplyDelete

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...