Monday, August 24, 2009

Soapbox

I've never rallied before because I've never felt strongly enough about anything before but I do feel strongly about women being able to choose where and how they give birth. I chose to birth Rory at home with the loving support of my family and our midwife who had become part of the family.

I chose homebirth because I didn't want to labour in the hospital (they have a tendency to take over as I discovered when Abby was born) and couldn't fathom having advanced labour contractions in the car on the way to the hospital. Instead I laboured in my lounge room, gave birth to Rory on the bathroom floor (we couldn't fill the bath quick enough!), and drank my fancy champagne and ate my fancy brie in my favourite chair before going to sleep in the comfort and quiet of my very own bed. I was very lucky to have such a lovely birth experience and my hope is that any woman in Australia could have the same.

Ummm I could go on and on but I won't because this is a craft blog. If you want to read more start here.

Rory brand new

2 comments:

  1. My requirements for my last 2 births were; no drugs and no doctors. It was great. I had a very quiet and kind midwife, my husband and my sister with me and gave birth the way I wanted to. It was such a memorable experience and I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there popped over from Silly Gilly. Hear hear! Shout it from the hills, Home birth rocks! And it is normal and wonderful and isn't some hippy thing that 'alternative' peeps do. It should be a normal opinion for all families and we need to stand strong and let people know. Our body, our right to choose....I'll shut up now lol! Happy I found your blog xox

    ReplyDelete

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...