Monday, August 24, 2009

It's in the rotation

My sister gave me a subscription to delicious magazine for my birthday (or was it Christmas? I don't remember since they are so close together it is one long gift-fest). A few recipes have made it into our regular rotation including this Pumpkin and Pasta Bake. It ticks all the boxes for weeknight dining - cheap, easy, speedy and hoovered by all members of the family.

Here's how we make it -
A splash of olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
About 800g pumpkin, peeled and cut into cubes
3 cups vegetable stock
300g pasta (penne, bow ties etc not spaghetti or fettuccine)
300ml pure cream
1 tbs chopped rosemary
Breadcrumbs and cheese to sprinkle on top

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring until the onion softens slightly. Add the pumpkin, stir to combine, then add half the stock and cook for 5-6 minutes until the pumpkin begins to soften.
Stir in the pasta, cream, rosemary and remaining stock (I thought this was a really strange way to cook the pasta as I've never seen it cooked in anything besides water before but it seems to
work). Season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook for about 8-10 minutes until the pasta and pumpkin are tender.
Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
Eat. Yum. Yum.
Also in the rotation (and ticking all the same boxes) at the moment is Rhonda's Spinach Pie. We are making it at least once a week and I like to eat the leftovers cold for lunch the next day.
In other food news, the pantry is a bit more close-able now. I made an orange and polenta cake but it was pretty crunchy and most of it ended up in the bin.

4 comments:

  1. Yum - that pasta sounds delicious. It is a very weird way of cooking the pasta though. Must put that one on the list of recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds so yum! Perfect too as I was trying to work our what to have for dinner tonight.
    ps - Will pass your book to Gillian on Wednesday - thanks so much for lending it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, the pasta sounds good, I'll try that one. I've tred making polenta biscuits before and they were rather gritty and most went in the bin too!

    ReplyDelete

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...