Monday, August 3, 2009

August's pantry challenge

We are having trouble closing the doors of our pantry and were just given 3 bags of non-perishable food items by my sister who is moving overseas. We've inherited some strange items we would never buy/eat (soya beans, vermicelli noodles) in addition to our own collection of miscellaneous food (coconut milk, yellow split peas). So our mission for August is to munch our way to an empty pantry.

Here is the complete list:
lasagne sheet
taco kit
polenta
yellow split peas
vermicelli noodles
butter beans
chick peas x 2
soya beans
large can tuna
small cans tuna (lime and black pepper flavour) x 3
pink salmon can
red kidney beans
tin tomatoes
coconut milk
corn kernels

And since one of my fans (I mean my one fan) said she would like to see more recipes on my blog I will share some of the things we make.

Here is what I had for lunch -


Corn Chowder (makes enough for lunch for 1 person and 2 half people)

1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp cumin
2 cups veggie stock
1/2 cup canned creamed-style corn
1 cup corn kernels
parsley, cheese, croutons to garnish

Cook the onions, garlic and cumin in a large heavy based saucepan (with a little bit of olive oil or butter) until they are soft. Add the vegetable stock and bring to boil. Add the potatoes and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the corn, bring to the boil and simmer for another 10 minutes. Garnish. Eat. Yum yum.

Yeahh that's one less can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...