Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My first 'real' quilt


The other one was trying hard to be a quilt but officially I think it was a 'patchwork blanket' because it just had polarfleece on the back.
This one is the real deal and I think I'm officially addicted. I never understood the whole quilting thing but I have fallen in love with the sound of my sewing machine going smoothly through so many layers and turning scraps of fabric into something warm and useful. We need one for every room in the house (and there's a high probability each of them will contain some ikea hippos).
I don't quite understand why the bias binding needs to be hand sewn on???? Who has time for that? And why bother? I used my machine and it looks just fine.

This one is for a newly hatched baby boy.

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree...hand sewing is not for me. The quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is so lovely - I am working on my first, a whole heap of hexes and I am loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is LOVELY! Well done!

    Anyway just wanted to let you know that I have started registrations for my swap - and the polka dot idea won hands down. Go to my blog to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabbo quilt Gillian. And I agree, it's addictive!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hand sewing - only when I am in the mood and want to look at 18th century or something...

    Lovely little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and that should have read 'look ALL 18th century...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Great fabric choices. Those giraffes!!

    ReplyDelete

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...