Monday, January 19, 2009

A tree full of plums

We have a giant plum tree in our backyard. It must be as old as the house (80+ years) and it gets all the runoff water from the shed down pipe so it is thriving.

Even though our plums ripened about a month later this year than they normally (it's only just starting to get hot) we have an abundant supply.

my little helper


So...what to do with all those plums? The last few years I have made plum jam but this year I thought I might try plum sauce, I just need to find a good recipe. In the meantime I used up a dozen or so in this cake.





I used this yummy Stephanie Alexander recipe:

Ingredients

180g softened butter
150g castor sugar
135g plain flour
135g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
70ml milk
10-12 ripe plums, halved and stoned


Topping (very necessary)
60g butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
2tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs

To make the topping:

Melt butter and stir in sugar and cinnamon, then allow to cool a little. Whisk eggs well and stir into butter mixture.

For the cake:

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then mix in flours and salt. Mix eggs with milk, then add to flour mixture and mix to make a softish dough. Spoon batter into prepared tin and smooth top. Arrange plums on top, cut-side up. Spoon topping over and place in preheated 180 degree oven for about an hour (longer in our dodgy oven).

And how did it taste? Yummo. Abby didn't like it but that's ok. More for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A comment! You just made my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...